Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Monday, September 22, 2008

Food, FIL's and the Wild Man

This is what I was up to yesterday...make my own version of White Bean Chili. I used fresh everything, except for the tomato paste and beans. Couldn't help it! I was too lazy this year to make my own tomato paste. Anyway, those ugly little tomatoes I posted about on Saturday I used yesterday to make the tomato base for the chili. I used 2 lbs of ground pork and 2 cans of cannellini beans. I was told my previous chili was too soupy and needed lots of meat and beans! So this time I made sure! I added a little fresh chopped oregano to it after fiddling with how much chili powder to add. It took a little tweaking but I finally ended up with something really hearty and delicious. Hubby would have liked more chili powder but Dad and I liked it just the way it was. See my lovely oregano:

We also went to visit my FIL yesterday at his care facility. He looks absolutely aweful. He was sick and dizzy and grumpy and still a little out of it. The family tiptoes around this man and it drives me crazy! At the risk of sounding cruel and cold, I really don't have a lot of sympathy for him. He brought all this on himself and it could have been prevented or at the very least, delayed. He is a master manipulater and milks every ill, ache, pain or bothersome thing to get what he wants from the family. My poor MIL is making herself sick running at his every beck and call. Granted, the man IS sick. But he has no respect for anyone else, he belittles and harangues at every opportunity. He's mean, miserable and vulger and quite frankly I believe he is reaping what he's sown in life. There is a long history surrounding my disgust of the situation and much as I would like to detail it, the story is not mine to tell. Suffice to say, it's not being sick that is making him this way...he was this way looooooong before he was ever diagnosed. Unfortunately the ones who are suffering are the ones I love dearly. My dear adored husband has been sick with worry that this time his dad won't make it and my FIL merely adds to the worry by repeatedly saying, "I'm dying." and "This is the last time I'll ever see the kids." etc, etc. My youngest SIL, with the knee injury, is doing her best to help my MIL, who also has the same knee injury, and take care of her own 5 yr old daughter. Middle SIL lives 2,000 miles away and is helpless and oldest SIL is in walking distance of the hospital and is, well, she is dealing with her own issues. Anyway, to make this long sad tale shorter, FIL is back in the hospital again. He was taken in this morning after his dialysis when he wouldn't stop bleeding at the needle site. MIL and SIL were called and came right away. ER got the bleeding stopped by my FIL's doc admitted him saying he was going to get him into a rehab or full nursing facility because he couldn't take care of himself anymore. In order to be admitted there, he needed to be in the hospital at least 48 hours. Unfortunately he will most likely lose his lovely room in the Assisted Living facility he is currently residing. Definately a bummer. But if this move frees up my MIL from all the hell she has had to take; giving him baths, washing up after him, shaving him, etc, then it will be worth it. And, to give credit were it is due, the wretched man admits he can't expect her to be with him 24/7...DUH!

Ok, enough of all that. On to better subjects. The lacey shawl I am crafting for my MIL is coming along nicely. I still need to take some photos but it's looking pretty good! I have 4 more pattern repeats to go and then I'll assess the size and see if more repeats are needed for a really good sized shawl.

The weather was chillier today so I took the opportunity to dress my little man in the lovely handknit sweater my MIL bought for him while she was over in Ireland earlier this year. He is so darned handsome in it! And it's roomy enough for him to wear all winter and into next spring. He was happy to model it!

I'm hearing the call of the shawl so I'll say ciao for now...happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris