Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Inevitability...

Never fails.  Doesn't matter how old I get or how carefully I watch what I'm doing.  Every season I end up with poison ivy.  *sigh*  This season is no exception, however, it is the most intense case I think I've ever had.  I believe I had direct contact, usually I get it through secondary contact; like my dog, cat, chickens, etc.  This year I think I managed to get into it somehow. My left arm is swollen, red and itchy/sore constantly.  I have it on the fingers of my right hand which makes typing interesting and knitting or crochet impossible!  I have it all around the ankle on my left foot and the ankle is also swollen and red, though not quite as itchy.  And it's on my neck and chest, but those patches are almost done.  Since I'm a veteran of this stuff I've tried everything under the sun and have a few favorite treatments, like Gold Bond Medicated powder.  But mostly I wait it out the week to two weeks I'm covered with it.  Even my Dr says I have a high tolerance to it and won't prescribe steroids.  He is of the belief that steroids don't really enhance healing anyway and the side effects are worse than the treatment.  I'm ok with that!  I don't want to take or use anything else that has icky side effects!  Unfortunately my regular course of favorites aren't cutting it.  The rash is so intense and severe that I've had to research new options.  I'm trying one now that's a bit on the expensive side but will allow me to reapply as often as I need to.  Tecnu Rash Relief seems to be working and providing some relief from the relentless itch and inflammation.  It should for $15!  If this doesn't work then I'll go back to Ivy Dry which I've had success with in the past.  The Caladryl spray works quite well too but on milder cases.  I'd use jewelweed if there were any around here but I can't even find it in our local whole foods store. 

We're supposed to head down to Massachusetts for a family reunion and 50th wedding anniversary party on Saturday.  Not sure I'm going to go if this rash hasn't let up.  Not my idea of fun, seeing family I haven't seen in years while I'm all covered in poison ivy and bandages!

On the yarn front, there is nothing going on.  I had been working on a Shell Stitch blanket for some friends who are expecting in the fall but I've had to put it aside as I can't effectively work on it and be covered in an itchy rash at the same time! So I'm in limbo at the moment :\

I have been doing a lot of Bible study lately and I've been reminded how amazing God is in how He works in our lives.  I've been discovering how all the books I've been reading and messages I've been hearing are tied together in God's Word.  Our Sunday sermon series, Loony Towns, is focusing on fleeing from evil and pursuing righteousness and along with that I've started a book (and study) called Forgotten God by Francis Chan that ties in with the messages our Pastor is delivering.  In addition, my small group in Women's Journey at Curtis Lake is studying 1st John and some of the Scripture we are reading also ties in with the message series and what Pastor Chan is talking about in Forgotten God!  Also hubby and I are reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren which ties into all this as well!  So, in my own inadequate words, to the best of my ability this is what I'm seeing; love the people of the world but do not love the things of the world because the things of the world are fleeting and you cannot take them with you when you die.  God wants you to build your character by striving to be like Christ, loving Him first then others and viewing the things of the world as a good steward would.  Likewise, pursue the Holy Spirit and let Him guide your actions because if you only concentrate on fleeing evil without pursuing anything you will only cycle back to evil and find yourself doing the very things you attempted fleeing!  We have minimized the effect of the Holy Spirit relegating Him to our own comfort level when we should be embracing the Holy Spirit with fear and awe, knowing that our bodies and souls are in His hands alone.  Our bodies can be destroyed here on earth but ONLY GOD can condemn our souls.  Whew!  We need to stop and ponder the awesomeness of that!  Only GOD can condemn our souls and we are so busy ignoring the Holy Spirit that we are making a mockery of our belief.  You cannot reject the Son and have the Father.  The Bible says "No one who denies the Son can have the Father; he who confesses the Son has the Father as well." 1 John 2:23 (HCSB)  Jesus is the Way! We need to remember that the Holy Spirit is God as well. 

I only want to be a vessel for God to use.  I want to be His hands and feet.  I want to learn more about Him because the more I learn the more I want.  If I were to look objectively at my level of belief say six months to a year ago, I would have said it was the size of a mustard seed.  Looking at my life and growth now, I would say the mustard seed has definitely sprouted! 

I pray for the discipline and maturity to continue in God's Word.  If I'm not surrounded by Him, I'm drowning in despair for I cannot live in a world without Hope.  I am flawed, imperfect, and a sinner, completely unworthy to be in His presence yet somehow He loves me anyway!  He loved me so much He sent His only Son to die for my sins so I might have eternal life with Him!  In my finite mind, I can never understand that level of love and feeling.  That being said, I have lost a child and therefore know the human limit of that kind of pain.  Just thinking of the Cross brings me to tears...  And knowing God is a God of emotion, His sense of loss is surely incomprehensible to us since it's of a level so much higher than ours.  Remember to thank God for all your blessings!

Stay safe y'all and have a happy week!

"Be still and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris