Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Dinner at the White House!

Seriously! We've been invited to have dinner tonight at the White house. LOL! Not the President's house I'm sure you already may have guessed. Our friend's, the White's, have just returned from a 6-week vacation across country. We are very excited to see them and see all 3,000 pictures - yes, 3,000! They had a great time with the exception of some pretty crappy food. My friend K, is a nutritionist and has raised her kids with healthy foods and has been lucky enough to avoid most fast food restaurants. Now that the kids are older and know what's out there, that's all they wanted to eat! Poor K! Anyway, she loves to cook healthy meals and tonight she and her husband, S, whom I've known for about 28 yrs (K for about 20 yrs), have invited our family up to their lakeside cottage for a nice meal. She's instructed me not to bring anything and I'm tactfully ignoring that order and bringing a nice homemade loaf of bread, baked fresh this morning, and a cornbread just out of the oven - BTW, the most delicious cornbread I've EVER had - and lemon bars I must confess, came from a box. I've been on a baking binge lately! I'm tempted to bake some more stuff but I need *desperately* to take a shower. I'm feeling a bit game-y today!! LOL!!

I'm on hiatus with the hubby sweater for a couple of weeks. I've started a Harlequin Baby Blanket for some friends who are expecting. Since it's chunky yarn and crochet, I think I'll finish it in about a week. It's really fun to do once I figured out the harlequin stitch. This is why I don't think I could be a good designer. I don't understand the construct right away and it takes me forever plus some tutorial viewing to get the beginning stitches just right. I still don't think I'm doing it exactly as instructed but to my benefit, it's actually turning out quite nice. I just re-learned how to crochet last summer and my preference is definitely knitting. So I wouldn't call myself a knowledgeable crocheter. What do I do? I pick a blanket with an intermediate pattern!!! Go figure! Anyway, it's a lot of fun and I'm using a lot of really bright colors. Once I get a picture of it I'll have it posted. I think it will turn out very nicely in the end.

Just jumped back into Scifi again. I used to be a Scifi/Fantasy freak and wouldn't read anything else. Then I got stuck - it seemed like everything new had pretty much the same stock plot and stock characters with a stock quest. YUCK! Not to mention that the hardcore scifi stuff was WAY over my head - or so I thought. Anyway, last night I picked up a book I've had languishing on my shelf for YEARS. It was recommended by my good friend S, of the White house fame. It's awesome! It's Eon by Greg Bear and I'm only on page 100 of 502 but I'm hooked. What a great concept! Especially since it was written in 1985 with a point of view in 2005. The man is a visionary - and even though it is filled with hardcore scifi, I still love it. Of the various points of view, there is only one that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. There's no basis for my imagination so I'm having to exercise that part of my imagination that hasn't been used in many years. So far, so good!

Nothing yet on the job front. I called yesterday morning about the Secretary's position at the JHS. The principal has been on vacation for 2 weeks and is tied up with retreats until Thursday. So I left messages with the Superintendent's secretary and with the secretary at the JHS. If I don't hear anything by Thursday, I'll call again.

I'm still nerve wracked about this whole job/daycare situation. I have nightmares all the time. Last night the anxiety attacks came back. Fortunately it was a small one and I recognized it well ahead of time so I could take some pills. On top of that, hubby and I had a disagreement, so my day was a stellar one. Hubby doesn't understand that when he doesn't tell me what's bugging me it's worse than when he does tell me. My imagination gets carried away and I think of horrible awful things and get all worked up. I'd rather him blow up at me and get it out of his system. We can both have a good yell and cry and be done with it. But NO, he has to grudge it out. Not so healthy for the anxiety prone. So then he threatens to not say anything at all! Can you possibly see how BAD that would be? I know when things bug him and it would go back to him hiding how he feels and me thinking all sorts of catastrophic things. What good would that do??? He does have a good point though. It's not like we can have a knock down drag out shout-fest with my dad and wild man in the house. It's not healthy to never fight. The best part about fighting with someone you love is knowing that they'll still be there when it's all over with and want to make up with you as badly as you want to make up with them! It's called PASSION! And hubby and I have it in spades (even after 15 yrs of marriage) so we need to have some shout-fests once in a while. Just to keep it interesting!

Ok, it's getting later and I'm not getting any cleaner. So shower time, here I come! BTW, I might have to report a large case of poison ivy on either myself or the wild man or possibly both. We'll find out later!

Have fun whatever you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris