Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Public Transportation & Other Wonders

So my poor sister, who always plans her flights right down to the last minute, through no fault of her own missed her Air Tran from Logan to Atlanta tonight and was facing the possibility of spending the night in the terminal. She was put on standby for the last flight out of Boston to Atlanta which means there was no guarantee that she would get a seat. The good news was she only had to wait 2 hrs to find out if she had a seat or not. Then she could plan which bench to take for the night while she waited until morning to book another flight. BTW, did I mention she only missed her flight by 5 minutes???

Her train from Wells was late by 20 minutes. She had a bad feeling but she still boarded the train to Boston, hopeful that she would still have plenty of time to spare for Logan security. When she arrived in Boston, her train was 45 minutes behind schedule. Then the shuttle to Logan was late and when she finally was able to board the shuttle, it too was also behind schedule. So it was that she arrived at Logan security with 25 minutes to spare before her plane took off. When she finally made it through security and got to her gate with 5 minutes left she was refused entry and told that her flight was already closed. 5 minutes!!! Mind you she had originally allowed herself a full 90 minutes to get through security. As often as she has flown, she knows how to pare down her wait time. This time she was bitten on the ass HARD by public transportation.

The story has a semi-happy ending. She was given a seat on the next flight out that left Logan 2 hrs after her original flight. She is now in the air and will land in Atlanta around 10:30pm where her wonderful roommate is waiting for her to drive her an hour back to their apartment on campus. Otherwise she would have been doomed to more public transportation horrors by having to rely on the subway and shuttle bus. Did I mention she's only doing this because she has ONE class she cannot miss tomorrow morning and then NOTHING until Monday??? What a way to ruin your family vacation!!!

The wild man already misses her and has been asking for her this afternoon. He's having a restless nights sleep, I can hear him kicking his crib. He's not crying yet. Which is good. Since I suspect he has gas and will wake up the neighborhood in about two hours... Shocking me out of bed, shaking and stumbling, banging down the hallway, only to hear him fart and cease screaming. At this point I'll be standing in front of his door with my hand on the knob asking myself, "should I? or not?" Of course, I will. Guilt would set in otherwise and I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep again!

The hubby sweater is on hold...again. The market bag is coming along swimmingly! The first panel is almost done. Then one more panel and the side and bottom panel, assembling it and making the handles. Should be done this weekend! Pictures are slow but I'll post some soon.

I'm stuck on the book front. I've been reading Janet Evanovich's book on writing and it's quite good. Except it's firing my creative juices and I've been writing gibberish like mad. (Which means time away from knitting). Hubby would tell me to quit slamming myself but it's a very bad habit now and I'm afraid I just can't break it! The other book is an Annie & Max Darling mystery by Carolyn Hart which is also very good but I can't seem to get into either one of them. I think I need something really different from what I normally read to spice up my imagination. I mean my imagination is really spicy enough just that I need a new direction.

Research is going nicely on the store front...ha ha ha! I put in two hours today. I'm still convinced this is something I can do and my research is supporting that. Unfortunately I don't have any collateral or credit to secure a loan. I'm going to keep plugging away and see if there are some other alternatives. Besides the more I know the less trouble I'll be in when it comes time to actually go through with it! At this point, the cons outweigh the pros in all but one very important area - drive and determination and the conviction that I have a damn good idea. I've also begun asking for information from those who are in the know.

In a totally opposite direction, does anyone know where I can find a used ball winder and swift for a reasonable price?? I'm stuck on hold with the socks I want to make since the hanks need to be wound and I'm too lazy to do the toilet paper roll thingy.

I don't have words to express how I felt about the Democratic National Convention. Can I just say hooray for former President Clinton! Man, he still has it! My heart is proud that this country is finally moving in the right direction with Obama. Can't say I was all that impressed with the star power aspect but I guess it all goes together. In any case, I feel sorry for the Republicans...they are in ba-a-a-a-ad shape! Ok, ok...

Fodder for a novel? My grumpy father - I could make up stories about him and they would sound true. (He's really wonderful - just cantankerous and single minded...and grumpy and obstinate and ...) I love him dearly, I really do! He keeps me on my toes and if he can make me a published author? All the better!

Happy whatever it is that makes you happy! Me? Well, it's too late to open that bottle of Vinho Verde, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris