Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Friday, January 30, 2009

The Latest 411

Let me start with saying how much I really suck at knitting math. Who knew so much math was required to plan patterns? You have to know how to adapt stitch patterns to the project you want to create and if it involves knitting in the round you need to figure out which part of the stitch pattern needs to be reworked to accommodate no wrong side knitting. I admit, I was feeling cocky! I had successfully modified Yankee Knitters Classic Socks #29 to my Ridged Feather Lace socks and thought with that being done I could simply move on to something more complex. I have underestimated the work required to make a pattern successful. I wanted to make something really special for my MIL's socks. Something lacy and really pretty. I tried and tried to adapt stitch patterns and make them fit and had to rip them out time and time again. So I am knitting her straight socks - no lace, no rib, no gansey design, nothing - just plain old straight socks. She'll love them no matter what I do to them but I still feel like I've failed. With no talent in the math department and no skill whatsoever in reading charts, nevermind trying to create my own, I'm stuck knitting other people's stuff. Not that I mind all that much - I was really hoping for my own "line" of sock designs. Maybe someday I'll have the time to sit down and devote the time I need to understanding how to incorporate stitch patterns and such...or maybe someday I'll meet a sock maven and have her/him show me how. For now, it's a straight sock or one knit from someone's else's design. Though I haven't gotten so far into the sock that I can't add a gansey...I really shouldn't push it!

No word from the dope who rear-ended me several weeks ago. After discussing my options with the insurance company yesterday I again tried to contact this guy. No answer and no call back. So, left with no options, I'm going to take the meager check from my insurance company, sock it away and wait to see if they can subrogate against him. If so, I'll reclaim my deductible and then I can get the bumper replaced/repaired whatever. In the meantime, I have to let it go and hope I can get it inspected without a repair. I'm stuck...can't afford the deductible, therefore can't repair the car. I'm giving this guy until Tuesday...no call back then it's up to the insurance company to fight with him. I made sure I told him that in the message I left yesterday. We'll see if he does the right thing. As of now, I'm not so sure.

Money is especially tight right now. We've been rubbing pennies together hoping more will spill out! No such luck. Hopefully Memere' will be able to pick up diapers, wipes and powder for us this weekend or we'll be going without much food. It's amazing what runs out when the money is not there to replace it. I've been operating without my vitamins for two weeks now and I spent the last week at home to save on having to put gas in the car. Which BTW we couldn't afford to do the last time so my SIL bought our gas for us. Not to mention she bought our groceries the week before that. Did I mention this is the SIL who is on food stamps? Tell me how pathetic that is that we can't even buy our own food and had to depend her food stamps. It sucks, that's how pathetic it is. Don't get me wrong...I'm eternally grateful to her for those two important gifts. Without them, we'd be stuck with no gas and no food. We'd be in the same spot this week if my Dad hadn't given us back the $$ we paid him for oil this week. I protested but he left it on the table for me... then I was so grateful, I cried. At this rate, it's going to be a long winter until hubby gets back on regular hours with any possibility of OT. The only good news out of the mess is at least we don't have credit cards! The only debt we have is the car. No pity please! It is what it is as I said to my friend vicioussweettart. I'm only enjoying the freedom to rant, which I feel I've earned!

Our old house has been suffering from the extreme temperature changes. We've had so many drips and leaks we've gone through a whole load of dishclothes trying to sop them up. Dad is mystified as to the origin of the dripping. We've got a new metal roof and new siding on the side of the house that is leaking the most! He's thinking it might be from around the chimney. He doesn't think the flashing was done properly. I then wondered why we didn't have this problem last year...nothing's changed since then! He really didn't know. So, this weekend we are going to be stuffing insulation up into the attic crawlspace. The stuff up there is so old it's probably disintegrated and the heat rising from the inside of the house is what's causing all the leak and drip problems. Let's hope some insulation will provide some relief. Old houses can really suck. Especially ones cobbled together like ours!

Wild man is good and wild today. He spent an hour and a half outside last night with his daddy and had a blast! We played outside for a little while this morning but not enough to please him. Pleasing him seems to be a big problem lately. He's wild, wilful and destructive. He's also fresh and rude and has given to screaming if he doesn't get his way. Not that the screaming is helping him in any way whatsoever! In fact, he's been in the equivalent of a toddler timeout many times the past couple of weeks. And, toys have been taken away. He's so fresh that when we say, "how would you like your train taken away!" He says, "ok" with this little attitude. Somehow he's always surprised when we actually take the toy from him and don't give it back! I'm wondering how long it will take him to realize his actions earn him consequences because I'm ok with taking all the toys away from him for him to see this isn't a game! Still, it is very frustrating! He hasn't stopped being loving either so we get this two sided action going on. One minute, it's Mr. Freshy and the next it's Mr. I Love Mumma. I think he's trying to figure out what it'll take to get me wrapped around his little finger! I'm onto you, buddy!

The frustration with my knitting has led me back to my books. I've been reading like a fiend this month! It's not a personal best by any means but to have read 7 books in one month with a two yr old is pretty darned good! I've also been baking a lot more - the shortage of money is good in one way, more homebaked goodies! Breads, desserts and more breads. Saves us from buying loaves of bread for $3.50 a loaf when I can make one for pennies on the dollar. Besides, I enjoy the process of baking. The math involved in it is much simpler for me!

Got to run...little man will be up momentarily. Stay safe, be well and happy knitting!

1 comment:

  1. If the leak is happening around the poipe are in the roof then it may be that the lack of thermal bairrer is causing condensatione on the metal underside of the roof.Make sure not to overly compress the insulation as that often causes a loss in r-factor. if I did not start until 1 year later it may be because the roofing installer used a butyl type of caulking. these have been the industry standard ( and leading cause/ generator of built in obsolesents) for 40 years. Think about using an elastomeric sealant around the pipe and any other roof top pennetrations. go to google and type " commercial roof repair. this should help you find a good organic link to the world of proper roof sealing that last a very long time . Good luck.
    sory for typos:)

    ReplyDelete

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris