Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Friday, January 18, 2008

McDonalds

Started my first uniformed shift last night at McD's. I ended up watching more training videos. It's no wonder they've been so successful with their business, the training videos are so comprehensive. Of course, they are geared to the younger set, the ones who are just starting out. Those of us that have been around the block a few times could use a more condensed and to the point version. Although I have to admit, the session I viewed last night was most helpful. It makes the prospect of using the front counter terminal tonight a less daunting experience. Some of the kids warned me that the video is a bit outdated, showing an older version of the terminal than the ones I will be using. However, the fact that I'm being trained on the front counter is more attractive to me than being on the grill. I think, should this be a positive experience, I would like to learn all aspects of the business. It is really quite interesting. Since I've been in the corporate sector for so long and virtually behind the scenes, it will remain to be seen how I interact with the general public. I remember, back when I was working at the movie theater, that I normally had a pretty good time. It was fast paced as this job will be and I relished it because it kept me busy. Even in the downtimes, we had plenty to do. Maybe my mistake was aiming too high? Nah! Given the opportunity to make the same or better bucks working as a db admin during the evenings, I'd take it in a heartbeat! I think it will be a fun experience. I need to resist the temptation to join in the chatter of the younger set. If I keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut, I should be ok. And those of you who know me will laugh at that! Since when have I ever been able to keep my mouth shut!

Switching to knitting, I admit to being a little slack lately. I'm still working on the yellow mittens for my MIL, although I am almost done the 2nd mitten. Finally! My goal this time is to have them done by Sunday. We'll be visiting my FIL in his new nursing home and I'd like to give her the mittens then. If I can knit this afternoon during LD's nap I should be able to finish today and if I can't get it seamed, I can do it tomorrow.

I'd speak further of my FIL but I don't want to air dirty laundry here. Suffice to say, my MIL is a SAINT!

On the subject of family, one of my SIL's is overseas in Teipei, Taiwan! She's there on business but has had a lot of good opportunities to get out and about. She's had some amazing food and some gross food. She's seen some beautiful buildings and temples. She's also posting her photos online so we can see them! There's this one awesome picture that shows the dichotomy of ancient and modern that is so common in Asia. We Americans don't see it here, our country is still too new. The photo shows two temples covered in flowers in the foreground and a modern glass front building in the background between the temples. What a visual lesson to us that we are such a young country and so full of new, modern things. Anyway, she's having a good time!

LD is doing beautifully. He had a pretty rough week as he's been sick but he's better now and sleeping through the night again. We just had a reading session and he's been reading about Noah and the Ark. He can point out the animals and he calls Noah by name. He's also using the color picture of God's rainbow to learn his colors! He can point out blue right away. Yellow and red are next so we are concentrating on learning those, along with orange, green and purple. He can pick out orange better now that he can relate the color with the fruit! His vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds! Hubby thinks he's really smart for his age but every parent wants to think their child is a genius! He goes for his 18 month check up on Monday. It'll be interesting to see how much bigger he's grown and at what %ile he'll be at!

I'm way behind in memorizing the verses I'm supposed to learn for service on the 27th. It's a long verse and I haven't done very much with it. I just hope the Pastor lets me use note cards or read from the Bible. I don't mind doing it but I'm afraid that it won't be verboten.

I'm off to play with LD - it's too cold and rainy to take him outside and it was so cold the last few days that we are both suffering from cabin fever. He's so rambunctious and I need to run a few laps around the house with him!

Ciao and Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris