Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.

1 Peter 4:9-10

Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer Sickness

Achoo...excuse me - must be my summer cold - ARGH! I hate getting sick in the summer time. Worse, I completely dislike having a sick child no matter what time of the year it is. I feel so bad for my little man. He's got a doozy, too. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose, achy body. He's really whiney and I can't say that I blame him! It sucks. Unfortunately I don't think I'm a very good nursemaid. I get exasperated with sick people. I know he's just a baby but I still have a hard time being patient with him. I have to verbally remind myself (after heaving a large sigh) that "he's just a baby...he doesn't feel well...he needs to know he's ok and that mommy is here." Of course, once I'm in his bedroom rubbing his back and looking down at his sweet little face I really do feel badly for him. I'm just not the most patient person in the world. Not to mention my sad tendency towards selfishness that unfortunately did not go away with the birth of my children.

I think one advantage of having kids at a younger age would have to be the ability to be more flexible. When one waits too long one tends to be more set in one's ways. At least that's how I feel. It's difficult thinking of other people's needs and trying to be considerate when one's natural tendency is in the opposite direction! Ha ha ha! Oh, I'm really not that bad. Maybe I'm being a little self-deprecating. At least I can admit my selfish feelings! I know that most mom's feel this way at some point. We just don't usually like to admit it - ever.

In anycase, being sick in the summer time sucks bog water. Talk about not having patience with others - I barely have patience with myself when I'm sick. I don't want to be bothered. I try to pretend, for as long as possible, that I'm really not sick in the hopes I'll end up, well, not being sick. Silly, huh. So here I sit, coughing, with a stuffed up and runny nose, scratchy throat and chest congestion. *heaving sigh* I think I have to stop pretending now.

In other news, I've started hubby's Christmas present. So far, no errors - knock on wood. I'm almost through one skein of yarn with about 10 more to go. I really love the color and I think it will look terrific on him. It will be big enough and long enough for him to wear a couple shirts under. He's always cold so this should work out well. Somewhere along the way, I'll have to start on my MIL's socks. I briefly entertained the thought of having them done for her birthday on the 21st but since I'm doing so well on hubby's present I'll have to wait to start her's later. No one likes getting socks in the summertime anyway, right?

I'm still reading a lot. I'm in the middle of a debut mystery novel called Poison Pen by Sheila Lowe. Interesting concept. The heroine is a forensic handwriting analyst. Not a bad story, either. It was a little stiff at first but has smoothed into a decently written mystery.

Hubby and I are seriously debating putting LD in part time day care for the summer. It would be Tues and Thurs mornings from 8am to 11:30am. I think it would be a good idea for him to become a little more socially aware. Right now he has no interest in playing with anyone else and has no concept of sharing or playing nicely. An old high school friend runs the day care. She's been a teacher for about 20 yrs and is now doing this preschool program. In the summer she does little tots. Anyway she charges $36 a week for it and we are really considering it. I think we'll give her a call this week and see if she can take him starting the 8th. I couldn't think of a better person to take him to. I'll probably be a worry wort the first few times, in fact, I know I'll have a hard time. At first, I won't know what to do with myself. Wow, three hours to myself...what do I do?

Speaking of that...I have some good ideas of what to do with my time! There's a lot of painting to do around the house. The kitchen needs to be done, the ceilings need freshening, and my dad's homemade doodads need to be touched up. Then he can put them out to sell. Also, I can take my bike out for a solo ride every now and then.

Well, my little man is up and coughing again. Need to make sure he's ok and give him his afternoon medicine.

Ciao y'all and happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Books on Tap for 2011

  • Knit Together - Debbie Macomber
  • Captured by Grace - Dr. David Jeremiah
  • Murder Most Foul - A Collection of Great Crime Stories
  • Fireproof - Eric Wilson
  • There's Something About Christmas - Debbie Macomber
  • Questioning Evangelism - Randy Newman
  • Murder Uncorked - Michele Scott
  • A Sacred Sorrow - Michael Card
  • Prayer: Does it Make any Difference? - Philip Yancey
  • Get Out of That Pit - Beth Moore

Books Read in 2011

  • What a Sista Should Do - Tiffany L. Warren
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven - Don Piper
  • Forgotten God - Francis Chan
  • The Purpose Driven Life - Rick Warren
  • Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris
  • Shadowfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Chill Factor - Sandra Brown
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Wednesday Sisters - Meg Waite Clayton
  • Stealing Home - Sherryl Woods
  • Bound for Murder - Laura Childs
  • Bloodfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Faefever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning
  • Under Her Skin - Susan Mallery
  • The Red Pyramid - Rick Riordan
  • No Wonder They Call Him Saviour - Max Lucado
  • I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg
  • I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore
  • The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
  • Spider Bones - Kathy Reichs
  • A Thread So Thin - Marie Bostwick
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
  • The Search - Nora Roberts
  • The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan
  • Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich
  • The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
  • Awakened - PC & Kristen Cast
  • The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan
  • Photo Finished - Larua Childs
  • Keepsake Crimes - Laura Childs
  • Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
  • The Icing on the Cupcake - Jennifer Ross
  • Fleece Navidad - Maggie Sefton
  • Dyer Consequences - Maggie Sefton
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree - Susan Wittig Albert
  • Heaven Has a Blue Carpet - Sharon Niedzinski
  • Dreamfever - Karen Marie Moning

Books Read in 2010

  • The Yada Yado Prayer Group - Netta Jackson
  • Silver Borne - Patricia Briggs
  • The Hole in Our Gospel - Richard Stearns
  • A Winter Marriage - Kerry Hardie
  • So Long, Insecurity - Beth Moore
  • Knit the Season - Kate Jacobs
  • Dead and Berried - Karen MacInerney
  • Murder on the Rocks - Karen MacInerney
  • where do i go - Netta Jackson
  • be sweet - diane hunt
  • The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown
  • Raven - Allison Van Deipen
  • Push (Precious) - sapphire
  • Faces of the Gone - Brad Parks
  • The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry
  • Burning Lamp - Amanda Quick
  • Fired Up - Jayne Ann Krentz
  • The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister
  • Matters Arising - Sarah Harrison
  • The Sheen on the Silk - Anne Perry
  • I Saw the Lord - Anne Graham Lotz
  • The Dangerous Protector - Janet Chapman
  • The Seduction of His Wife - Janet Chapman
  • Re-reading all the Tintin graphic novels - Herge
  • The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen
  • the last time i saw you - Elizabeth Berg
  • Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Wild Ride - Jennifer Crusie & Bob Mayer
  • Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen
  • Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris
  • Crawl Space - Sarah Graves
  • The Honey Thief - Elizabeth Graver
  • The Otherworldlies - Jennifer Anne Kogler
  • Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - Beth Hoffman
  • A Face at the Window - Sarah Graves
  • Draycott Eternal - Christina Skye
  • Shelter Mountain - Robin Carr
  • Virgin River - Robyn Carr
  • Death by Cashmere - Sally Goldenbaum
  • An Ice Cold Grave - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Surprise - Charlaine Harris
  • Grave Sight - Charlaine Harris